Thứ Bảy, 24 tháng 8, 2013


CHAPTER I

"Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you
don't tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that
Antichrist--I really believe he is Antichrist--I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my
friend, no longer my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see I have frightened you--sit
down and tell me all the news."
It was in July, 1805, and the speaker was the well-known Anna Pavlovna Scherer, maid of honor and favorite
of the Empress Marya Fedorovna. With these words she greeted Prince Vasili Kuragin, a man of high rank
and importance, who was the first to arrive at her reception. Anna Pavlovna had had a cough for some days.
She was, as she said, suffering from la grippe; grippe being then a new word in St. Petersburg, used only by
the elite.

Link:  Download





0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét